Born Detroit, Michigan
Citizenship United States of America
Marital Status Married, September 6, 1981 to Sue Ravitz
1970 A.B. English Literature University of Michigan
1977 M.S. Pharmacology Michigan State University
1978 M.D. Medicine Michigan State University
INTERNSHIP AND RESIDENCIES
1978-82 General Psychiatry University of Chicago
1982-84 Child and Adolescent Psychiatry University of Chicago
1978 Licensed, State of Illinois 036-061264
2005 Licensed, State of New York 236761
2014 Licensed, State of California C132243
General Psychiatry Certificate #26140
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Certificate #2107
Forensic Psychiatry Certificate #1665
1984-1991 Assistant Professor, Departments of Psychiatry and Pediatrics, University of Chicago
1984-1987 Medical Director, Parent-Infant Development Service, University of Chicago
1985-1987 Director, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Clinic, University of Chicago
1985-1988 Director of Training, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Chicago
1987-2005 Director of Inpatient Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Chicago
1991-2005 Associate Professor, Departments of Psychiatry and Pediatrics, University of Chicago
2005-2006 Associate Professor of Clinical Psychiatry, University of Illinois
2005-2006 Director of Inpatient Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Illinois
2006-2010 Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, New York University
2006-2010 Director, Psychiatry and the Law Service, NYU Child Study Center, New York University
2010-2014 Senior Director, Forensic Psychiatry, Child Mind Institute
2010-2014 Senior Psychopharmacologist, Child Mind Institute
1984-2005 Attending Psychiatrist, University of Chicago
1984-1986 Clinical Director, Adolescent Program, Chicago Lakeshore Hospital
1985-2006 Medical Director, Chicago Lakeshore Hospital
2006-2010 Attending Physician, New York University
OTHER PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS AND MAJOR VISITING APPOINTMENTS
1981-1984 Psychiatric Consultant, Cook County Juvenile Court, Chicago, IL
1982-1984 Psychiatric Consultant, Child and Adolescent Program, Gary Community Mental Health Center, Gary, IN
1982-1986 Psychiatric Consultant, St. Joseph's Carondolet Child Center, Chicago, IL
AWARDS AND HONORS
1976 Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association Foundation Fellowship
MAJOR COMMITTEE ASSIGNMENTS
Chicago Lakeshore Hospital
1985-2006 Medical Executive Committee, Chairman
1985-2006 Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee, Chairman
MEMBERSHIPS, OFFICES, AND COMMITTEE ASSIGNMENTS IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
1982- American Psychiatric Association
1982-2006 Illinois State Psychiatric Association
1984- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
1984-2006 Illinois Council of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
1985- Chicago Society for Adolescent Psychiatry
1999- National Interdisciplinary Consortium on Custody Law
2007 Interdisciplinary Forum on Mental Health and Family Law
1985-1991 Program Chairman, Illinois Council of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
1988-1990 Program Chairman, Chicago Society for Adolescent Psychiatry
1992-1993 President Elect, Chicago Society for Adolescent Psychiatry
1993- 1995 President, Chicago Society for Adolescent Psychiatry
1994-1996 President Elect, Illinois Council of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
1996-1998 President, Illinois Council of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
2013- Mental Health Chairperson, Interdisciplinary Forum on Mental Health and Family Law
1984-2000 Interdisciplinary Case Conference. Team leader. Medical students, general psychiatry residents, child psychiatry fellows, psychologists, psychology graduate students, social workers, social work students. 2 hours per week 45 weeks per year.
1984-2005 Developmental Psychopathology. Seminar leader. 2 year advanced seminar sequence. Medical students, child psychiatry fellows. 1 hour per week 45 weeks per year.
1984-2005 Introduction to Child Psychiatry. Seminar leader. 1 year seminar. General psychiatry residents. 1.5 hours per week 45 weeks per year.
1987-2002 Introduction to Child & Adolescent Inpatient Treatment. 1 year lecture series. Child psychiatry fellows. 1 hour per week 45 weeks per year.
1995-2001 Forensic Child Psychiatry. Lecturer and seminar leader. Child psychiatry fellows. 1 hour per week 24 weeks per year.
1986-2006 Inpatient Teaching Rounds. Attending physician. Average daily census 15 patients. Child psychiatry fellows, general psychiatry residents, medical students. 2-3 hours per day (10-15 hours per week) 48 weeks per year.
2007-2010 Child Development Seminar. Seminar leader. Second year child psychiatry fellows. 1 hour per week, 48 weeks per year.
2007-2010 Developmental Theory and Human Motivation. Professor. This is an NYU undergraduate class that uses film to teach basic principles of human development. 3 hours per week, 2 semesters per year.
2007-2010 Divorce in America. Professor. This is an NYU undergraduate class that surveys the current literature regarding intimacy, marriage, divorce, and custody in the United States. 3 hours per week, 2 semesters per year.
MENTORING OF GRADUATE STUDENTS, RESIDENTS, POST-DOCTORAL FELLOWS IN RESEARCH
1984-2006 Personal supervision of 3 child psychiatry fellows per year
2006-2010 Personal supervision of 1 child psychiatry fellow per year
TEACHING AWARDS RECEIVED
1986 Best Resident Seminar, University of Chicago Department of Psychiatry
1988 Best Resident Seminar, University of Chicago Department of Psychiatry
1992 Best Resident Seminar, University of Chicago Department of Psychiatry
1996 Best Resident Seminar, University of Chicago Department of Psychiatry
1988-2006 Psychiatric Consultant, Niles School District Off-Campus Learning Center, Skokie IL
1995-2006 Psychiatric Consultant, Francis W. Parker School, Chicago IL
1. Ravitz, A.J., and Moore, K.E.: Lack of effect of chronic haloperidol administration on the prolactin-lowering action of piribedil. J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 29:384-386, 1977.
2. Ravitz, A.J., and Moore, K.E.: Effects of amphetamine, methylphenidate and cocaine on serum prolactin concentration in the male rat. Life Sci. 21:267-272, 1977.
3. Ravitz, A.J., and Moore, K.E.: Concentration of prolactin in serum in rats treated with baclofen. J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 29:509-510, 1977.
4. Eikenberg, D., Ravitz, A., Gudelsky, G.A., and Moore, K.E.: Effects of estrogen on prolactin and tuberoinfundibular dopaminergic neurons. M. Neural Transmission, 40:235-244, 1977.
5. Leventhal, B.L., Cook, E.H., Morford, M., Ravitz, A.J., & Freedman, D.X: Relationships of whole blood serotonin and plasma norepinephrine within families. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 20(4): 499-511, 1990.
6. Perry, B.D., Conroy, L., & Ravitz, A.J.: "State memories:" The persisting psychophysiological effects of trauma. Violence Update, 1(1-11), 1991.
7. Mark A. Stein, Ph.D., Emily Szumowski, Ph.D., Alan J. Ravitz, M.D., Michael J. Frey, Ph.D., and Bennett L. Leventhal, M.D. Dexamethasone Suppression and Childhood Depression: Association with Categorical and Dimensional Measures. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, 1994.
8. Ravitz, Alan. Helping Families and Children in High Conflict Divorces. Adolescent Psychiatry, 2011, 1: 204-209
1. National Interdisciplinary Colloquium on Custody Law (co-author). Legal and Mental Health Perspectives on Child Custody Law: A Deskbook for Judges. Minneapolis, West Publishing, 1998.
2. National Interdisciplinary Colloquium on Custody Law (co-author). Mental Health Aspects of Custody Law. Durham, North Carolina, Carolina Academic Press, 2005.
1. Meltzer, H.Y., Simonovic, M., Ravitz, A., Fang, V., and Goode, D.: Effect of psychotomimetic drugs on rat and human prolactin and growth hormone levels. In Handbook of Studies on Psychiatry and Endocrinology, ed. by P.J.V. Beaumont and G.D. Burrows, Elsevier/North Holland Press BV, Amsterdam, 1982.
2. Ravitz, A., and Reinecke: M., Cognitive Inpatient Treatment of Children and Adolescents in Handbook of Cognitive Treatment edited by Reinecke, M. Guilford Press, New York, 1994.
3. Ravitz, A: Adolescent Custody Evaluations in The Scientific Basis of Custody Evaluations edited by Galatzer-Levy, R.A. and Kraus, L. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1999.
4. Ravitz, A: Inpatient and Residential Treatment of Adolescents in Textbook of Adolescent Psychiatry edited by Rosner, R. et.al. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, D.C., 2003
5. Ravitz A, Cook E, Leventhal BL: Development in Psychiatry for Primary Care Physicians, 2nd Edition edited by Goldman LS, Wise T, Brody D. American Medical Association, Chicago, IL, 2003
6. Ravitz A: Child and Adolescent Disorders in Psychiatry for Primary Care Physicians, 2nd Edition edited by Goldman LS, Wise T, Brody D. American Medical Association, Chicago, IL, 2003
1. Ravitz, A., & Leventhal, B.L. (Reviewers). The Clinical Guide to Child Psychiatry, D. Shaffer, A. Ehrhardt, & L. Greenhill (Eds.), J. Child Psychiatry, 1987, 25(1), p. 140.
2. Ravitz, A.J. Book Review: Too Scared to Cry: Psychic Trauma in Childhood, by Lenore Terr, M.D. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, June 1991, 6(2): pp 246-247.
3. Ravitz, A.J. Book Review: Juvenile Sex Offenders: A Guide to Evaluation
and Treatment for Mental Health Professionals, by Eileen P. Ryan, John A. Hunter, and Daniel C. Murrie. Journal Of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, 2014 (in press)
1. Gudelsky, G.A., Annunziato, L., Ravitz, A.J., Eikenberg, D.C., and Moore, K.E.: Effects of estrogen on serum prolactin levels and dopamine turnover in nigrostriatal and tuberoinfundibular neurons of the rat. Fed. Proc. 36:278, 1977.
2. Leventhal, B.L., Ravitz, A.J., and Morford, M.: Neurochemical effects of fenfluramine treatment. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, San Francisco, 1983.